Thursday, January 14, 2016

Peas and Carrots

When I taught gymnastics in Lakeland, I had a student who was so incredibly clumsy.  Every time she'd fall, I'd tell her, "You are the second clumsiest gymnast I've every met."  Of course, she would ask, "Who is the first?"  But I just smiled.  I'm pretty sure she knew.

It's true, LeFou.  I was probably the most clumsy gymnast to ever walk onto a spring floor... and apparently some things never change.  Tonight was my first day "shadowing" at LaFleur's and, keeping with tradition, I hurt myself.  In the first 20 minutes.

I was at my first event of the day with my first student, who was supposed to kick up into a handstand and fall on her back onto a mat.  Well, I haven't spotted in awhile, so I'm apparently sitting in an awkward position.  I had to spot her a little more than I expected and in doing so I pulled the living daylights out of a muscle in my hip.  Real classy, Melissa

Anyway, after several minutes of excruciating pain and buying some time by talking to the student because I could not spot again yet, I finally felt well enough to stand and walk again.  But I did spend the rest of the evening stretching it out periodically and iced it when I came home.  I knew we should have bought icepacks at Walmart this morning...

Reckless Tip of the Day: When you get hurt, shake it off and try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment